Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Self reported proficiency scale




Teachers' Sense of Self-Efficacy, English Proficiency,
and Instructional Strategies: A Study of Nonnative
EFL Teachers in Iran
Eslami & Fatahi
TESL-EJ

March 2008
Volume 11, Number 4




To investigate the teachers' perceived English proficiency, the survey used by
Butler (2004), and Chacón (2005) were used. Based on those two instruments, a
12-item survey was developed. The items were on a 5-point Likert scale ranging
from 'strongly disagree' (1) to 'strongly agree'(5).



Items of English proficiency subscales
1. In face-to-face interaction with an English speaker, I can participate in a
conversation at a normal speed.
2. I know the necessary strategies to help maintain a conversation with an
English speaker.
3. I feel comfortable using English as the language of instruction in my
English class.
4. I can watch English news (for example, CNN) and/or English films
without subtitles.
5. I understand the meaning of common idiomatic expressions used by
English speakers.
6. I can understand when two native English speakers talk at a normal
speed.
7. I can understand English magazines, newspapers, and popular novels.
8. I can draw inferences/conclusions from what I read in English.
9. I can figure out the meaning of unknown words in English from context.
10. I can easily write business and personal letters in English and can
always find the right words to convey what I want to say.
11. I can fill in different kinds of application forms in English such as a
bank account application.
12. I can write a short essay in English on a topic of my knowledge.




No comments:

Post a Comment